See Who Made This Year’s List of Best HospitalsJuly 26, 2022
There was no surprise when it came to first place on this year’s “Best Hospitals” list from U.S. News & World Report.
For the seventh consecutive year, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., clocked in at No. 1 on the Honor Roll of the 20 institutions ranked as “delivering exceptional treatment across many areas of care,” U.S. News said in an announcement of its 2022-2023 rankings.
Rounding out the top three on this year’s Honor Roll were Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and NYU Langone Hospitals in New York City, which ranked second and third, respectively.
In the select specialty care rankings, the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston ranked No. 1 in cancer, the Cleveland Clinic took the top spot in cardiology and heart surgery, and NYU Langone Hospitals placed first in neurology and neurosurgery.
Each year, the “Best Hospitals” rankings are compiled in an effort to help patients and their doctors make informed decisions about where to receive quality care, U.S. News said in its announcement. For the 2022-2023 rankings, more than 4,500 hospitals were compared across 15 specialties and on 20 procedures and conditions.
Overall, there were 493 facilities that were recognized as “Best Regional Hospitals,” based on their strong performance in multiple areas of care, U.S. News said.
Specifically, the “Best Hospitals” specialty methodology as well as procedures and conditions methodology weigh measures, such as survival rates, complication rates, patient experience, level of nursing care, and the ability of hospitals to successfully help their patients get back home, according to U.S. News. And to calculate “Best Hospitals” rankings for the Honor Roll, specialty and region, U.S. News said that it evaluates each hospital’s performance using measures from data provided by CMS, the American Hospital Association, and professional organizations and medical specialists.
In addition to the usual metrics, three new cancer ratings were added this year: ovarian, prostate, and uterine cancer surgeries. U.S. News also added an expanded set of health equity measures designed to highlight which hospitals provide more care to low income patients as well as which ones have racial disparities in certain surgical outcomes.
“For patients considering their options for where to get care, the Best Hospitals rankings are designed to help them and their medical professionals identify hospitals that excel in the kind of care they may need,” Ben Harder, chief of health analysis and managing editor at U.S. News, said in a statement. “The new cancer ratings provide patients facing surgery for prostate cancer or gynecological cancer with previously unavailable information to assist them in making a critical health care decision.”
Below are this year’s Honor Roll as well as the top 10 hospitals in select specialty care rankings.
2022-2023 Best Hospitals Honor Roll
1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester
2. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
3. NYU Langone Hospitals
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. (Tie) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
5. (Tie) UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
7. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, New York City
8. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
9. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
10. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, Calif.
11. Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
12. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
13. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
14. Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
15. Houston Methodist Hospital
16. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City
17. University of Michigan Health-Ann Arbor
18. Mayo Clinic-Phoenix
19. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tenn.
20. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
Top 10 Best Hospitals in Selected Specialties — Cancer
1. University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
2. Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York City
3. Mayo Clinic, Rochester
4. Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center, Boston
5. UCLA Medical Center
6. Cleveland Clinic
7. City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, Calif.
8. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian
9. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
10. Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis
Top 10 Best Hospitals in Selected Specialties — Cardiology & Heart Surgery
1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Mayo Clinic, Rochester
3. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
4. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell
5. NYU Langone Hospitals
6. Mount Sinai Hospital
7. Massachusetts General Hospital
8. Northwestern Memorial Hospital
9. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital
10. Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Top 10 Best Hospitals in Selected Specialties — Neurology & Neurosurgery
1. NYU Langone Hospitals
2. UCSF Medical Center
3. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell
4. Rush University Medical Center
5. Johns Hopkins Hospital
6. Mayo Clinic, Rochester
7. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
8. Cleveland Clinic
9. Mount Sinai Hospital
10. Northwestern Memorial Hospital